Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Strawberry Challenge!

I wish that I had more to say about my strawberry plant than I do. I admit that it may not have been watered as much as it should have been, but I believe that it did so well because of significant rains we've had in the past month or so. My plant was outside in almost full sunlight the entire time it was with me. It was watered once every two days, and occasionally watered daily.

It took my plant a long time to actually produce any strawberries. For the first week or two it just grew at a slow pace, until a couple flowers showed up. All of a sudden there were 8 flowers, but then it slowed down again as it grew the strawberries. It took from the time the plant bloomed (about a week in) until a couple days ago for a full strawberry to grow. I ate that strawberry and it tasted delicious. There are still 7 strawberries on my plant that are growing, although one is almost done and became a little deformed in the process.

A challenge of this project was knowing how to take care of a plant. This was a new experience for me, and going into it I knew that different plants need different treatment, but I had no idea what kind of treatment a strawberry plant needed. I just chose to put my plant in direct sunlight and water it as much as I could - which was ideally once a day. This of course did not happen as I did not water it daily, but it still survived and flourished. At the end of this project, I researched what conditions are ideal for a strawberry, and a gardening website told me to put it in direct sunlight with minimal wind. My plant was in direct sunlight next to a fence that blocked almost all of the wind, so this may have been a reason that it was so successful. (http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry.asp)

No comments:

Post a Comment